Home repairs are never fun, but for anyone living in an older home, they’re often necessary. As you age, you may need modifications to your home to make it easier to live in. Or maybe you just want to improve its functionality. An older house comes with many challenges, including maintenance issues that can be expensive and stressful to deal with as a homeowner.
There are many things that need fixing: leaky roofs, broken windows or doors, cracked walls, faulty plumbing, and so on.
These repairs can be expensive, but there are charities that offer financial assistance for homeowners seeking help with making their homes more accessible or comfortable to live in.
Here are 10 charities that will help with home repairs:
- Home Repairs Ministries
- Habitat for Humanity
- Rebuilding Together
- Operation Homefront
- Catholic Charities of Southern Missouri
- Hearts & Hammers
- Rebuilding Together Baltimore (RTB)
- Coalition for Home Repair
- Women Under Construction Network
- Home Seniors
- Final Thoughts
Home Repairs Ministries
Home Repairs Ministries provides critical home repairs and modifications for low-income widows, single mothers, seniors, and people with disabilities.
Home Repairs Ministries has completed over 200 projects per year to create safe and healthy home environments (as per their website stats). They are building and repairing homes since 2002.
Some general qualification criteria to be able to get help in home repairs:-
- Must be the homeowner & plan to stay in the home for the next 3 years.
- Must meet income guidelines, household income may not exceed low income as defined by current HUD Definitions.
How to get help in home repair?
- Request application via form here
- Email:- email@example.com
- Call:- 404-618-5524.
Habitat for Humanity
Habitat for Humanity is a charity organization that builds houses for low-income families who cannot afford to do it themselves. They also offer homeowners assistance with repairs. The repairs are completed by volunteers, who are usually from the community where the house is being built.
They are often retired individuals, organizations and churches that want to help others. Volunteers receive training in safety, tools and construction techniques.
Depending on the project, volunteers could also learn about building codes, architectural designs, city planning and other related topics.
Their home preservation program was made possible due to Valspar (Cofounder of the program)
To apply for home repair program, check the local habitat near you by entering the zip code here.
Rebuilding Together is a leading national nonprofit in safe and healthy housing. They have almost 40 years of experience in the given mission.
With the support of volunteers, and corporate and community partners, Rebuilding Together repairs homes, revitalizes communities, and rebuilds lives.
Rebuilding Together’s local affiliates and nearly 100,000 volunteers complete about 10,000 rebuild projects
Some of their well-renowned programs:-
- Building a Healthy Neighborhood
- Disaster Readiness and Recovery
- Safe at Home
- She Builds
For help, you can enter the zip code here and look for home repair help through their charity affiliate.
Operation Homefront is a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit, organization that helps build strong, stable, and secure military families.
Since 2011, they have helped more than 19,000 families with financial assistance. A feat applaudable by highest margins.
They have 4 prominent programs in the home repair/housing category:
- Transitional Housing (Apartments)
- Permanent Homes for Veterans
- Transitional Homes for Veterans
- Transitional Housing (Villages)
The following are the program description to understand how they work (taken from their website for saving your important time):
- Operation Homefront’s Transitional Housing (Apartments) program provides rent-free apartments for veterans who have been honorably discharged within the past 4 years
- The PHV program provides veterans with the opportunity to move into an Operation Homefront home and work directly with caseworkers and other financial counselors to learn and plan for home ownership
- Transitional Homes for Veterans serves veteran families who are within 12 months of discharge, served honorably and are willing to work towards self-sufficiency by providing temporary rent-free housing, financial education, and support services.
- Operation Homefront’s Transitional Housing (Villages) program provides fully furnished apartments for wounded, ill, and injured service members with families to live rent-free while they go through the process of medically separating from the military.
How to apply?
Submit your application here by creating an account
Catholic Charities of Southern Missouri
Catholic Charities of Southern Missouri is a leading provider of home repair and rebuilding services.
Catholic Charities of Southern Missouri offers services to people who need help with home repairs. They provide repairs such as fixing the roof, windows, or electrical system
People they help in home repairs are:-
- Homes damaged or destroyed by natural disasters
- Low income-income families
- Developmentally disabled
There are different qualification criteria for each home repair program.
You can check out all the information you need here and apply for their home repair program.
Hearts & Hammers
Hearts & Hammers is a nonprofit organization that helps people in the twin cities of Minnesota and Dallas, Texas communities with home repairs
The volunteers and donors restore the homes of low-income homeowners including Seniors, Veterans, and Disabled individuals.
They claim that they complete the work in just 24 hours (which is a great feat to achieve and commendable)
Here are some criteria that you need to fulfill:-
- Do you currently live in and own a single-family residence in the Twin Cities Metro area or Dallas, TX?
- Do you plan to stay in your home for at least two years?
- Are you 60 years old or older, a person with a disability, or a U.S. Armed Forces Veteran (or surviving spouse)?
- Does your household income (from all sources) meet the income guidelines?
For the application for home repair, you can apply with this online form available here.
Rebuilding Together Baltimore (RTB)
Rebuilding Together Baltimore helps low-income homeowners (seniors) and people with disabilities with repairs and modifications.
They have more than 120 Rebuilding Together affiliates across the US. They claim that their volunteers have repaired almost 1800 homes in Baltimore to a cumulative value of over $20 million.
Who do they help?
- People Living With Disabilities
- Families with Children
- Older Adults
What kind of home repairs they help with?
- Roof Repair
- Energy efficiency improvements
- Repair of safety hazards
- Fall prevention interventions for seniors and people with disabilities.
- Other repairs
How to apply for home repair?
Call them at (410) 889-2710 or email at https://www.rtbaltimore.org/contact
Coalition for Home Repair
The Coalition for Home Repair is the premier nonprofit organization promoting and supporting the work of home repair and rehabilitation partners nationwide
Some stats that are good to know:-
- 38,000 homes repaired
- 89,000 low-income people in 38 states served
- 306,000 volunteers
- 7.8 million hours
- 71,000 projects completed
Home repairs they help with:-
- Roof repairs
- Accessibility modifications
- Room additions
- Electrical repairs
Women Under Construction Network
Women Under Construction Network is a nonprofit organization with a mission to educate, motivate, and empower women of all ages facing critical needs at home
Their home repair program is called “Repair Angels“. What a lovely name!
The ANGELS are the Contractors, Trade professionals and Apprentices who perform the home repairs.
Their direct beneficiaries are approximately 1,000 women and youth.
How to apply?
You can directly contact them from this page.
H.O.M.E. is a one-of-a-kind organization that fosters joy, independence, and connection for low-income seniors in Chicago
Its mission is to provide both affordable housing and housing support services for seniors living on low incomes.
Some programs they have in the home and housing service:-
- Generations Thrive Together
- Aging Safely in Place
- Seniors on the Move
- All Aboard the Shopping Bus
- Make a Difference for Seniors
Home repairs they help with:-
- Affordable electrical
- Carpentry repairs
- Moving assistance
- Wheelchair-accessible shopping bus
If you want more information and apply to the home repair program, contact here.
Other Charities that help with Home Repairs:-
- Home repair services
- House proud
- People working cooperatively
- Honoring our Heroes
- Roof Angels INC
- Margert Community Corporation
Church Ministries That Help With Home Repairs
There are many grants available as well for home repairs. Here is some information on grants:
Section 504 Home Repair program
This section 504 provides loans to very-low-income homeowners to repair, improve or modernize their homes or grants to elderly very-low-income homeowners to remove health and safety hazards.
- Be the homeowner and occupy the house
- Be unable to obtain affordable credit elsewhere
- Have a household income that does not exceed the very low limit by county.
- For grants, be age 62 or older and not be able to repay a repair loan
Assistance you can get:-
- Maximum loan is $40,000
- Maximum grant is $10,000
- Loans and grants can be combined for up to $50,000 in assistance
The US Govt helps with home repairs and modification in many ways.
Here are some details:-
- Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP):- provides households with free weatherization services
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP):-Assistance to pay your heating or cooling bills, Emergency services in cases of energy crisis, such as utility shutoffs
- Home Equity Loans:- A form of credit where your home is used as collateral to borrow money. You can use it to pay for major expenses, including education, medical bills, and home repairs
- The Rural Housing Repair Loans and Grants program:- provides loans and grants to very low-income homeowners to repair, improve, modernize, or to remove health and safety hazards in their rural dwellings. More details here.
We hope after reading this article you will get a lot of ideas for your help in home repair. These charities can help you financially as well repair your homes with the help of their volunteers and affiliates across the country. With grants and loans, you can get started quickly.
If you think this article was helpful, feel free to share it with the needy.